Thursday, October 9, 2008

Dreamtime

The book 'Wicklow Photographs' opens with a quote from 'Dreamtime' by John Moriarity, courtesy of The Lilliput Press.

The quote was brought to my attention by my friend Timothy Tate. It seemed to encapsulate the conciousness I find myself in when taking the majority of my landscape photographs.


'On a calm day in the mountains, I postponed all purpose and allowed my spirit to be still. When I was as calm as the lake was I mirrored the mountains  serenely as it did. Mirroring them, I didn't modify them. No ebbing into self awareness shimmered them. Clear, like the lake, to my very depths, they touched the quick in me with their unperturbed, ageless summits. By nightfall there was no me.... All of this wasn't something I did. All of this, when I surrendered to them, was something my surroundings did for me. It was with my surroundings that I walked into myself and found eternity.' - John Moriarty


Visit wicklowphotographs.com

No comments: