Thursday, October 9, 2008

An Observation

I was standing in a lush pasture in Glendalough and everything was perfect. A bright fog nestled on the jagged ridges of the mountains, trapping and softening the crisp light. Everywhere tones of electric green. Water lillies on the flood plain, behind them delicate alder saplings,behind them the Glenealo river snaked towards the lough and behind the river a pine and scree covered mountain. My thirty year old camera ,my favourite camera, jammed...I'll fix it and come back tomorrow.


It rains all night. I hike back to my vantage point but the pasture is underwater. The lough has swelled one hundred metres further up the valley. The waterlilles had completely disappeared underwater. I should have known better, it is never the same when you return to any landscape. Even if the conditions seem identical there will be some shift within you or without you, and you'll never find that symbiotic moment again.... but there will be something new for you in its place.


Visit WicklowPhotographs.com

No comments: